Saturday 24 September 2011

Changing the brake pads on a 2003 Toyota Tacoma?

I tried to change the brake pads on my truck and I removed the 4 long bolts going through the caliper, after doing so brake fluid started to pour out. So, therefore, I replaced the bolts. At this point what do I need to do to replace the pads and restore the caliper to it's normal working order? I have to press my brake pedal to the floor and even then it doesn't stop properly. My pedal is now spongy and has no pressure.
Changing the brake pads on a 2003 Toyota Tacoma?
Unfortunately, the first answerer is right... you now have to bleed the brakes which requires two people. On the back side of the caliper, you will see something that looks like a little stud sticking out with a hole in the middle of it and a nut on it. This is actually the bleed valve the other guy mentioned.



The idea is to crack this open while someone slowly presses the brake pedal all the way to the floor in order to push the air out. Once they reach the floor, they should hold it there while you close the valve. Repeat this process until all that comes out is fluid. It's best to close the valve mid-stroke of the brake pedal on the final time. Check the fluid level in the reservoir before and after this procedure.



Once you get things working right again, it's time to change the pads properly...



Although I never had a Tacoma, I've had a Camry and a Tercel and both cars had similar calipers. I can't remember what size, but in both cases all I needed to remove the calipers was a metric Allen wrench and to remove two large Allen bolts.



Once you get the old pads off, you have to spread the caliper open before you can get it back on with the new pads (since the new pads will be thicker than the old ones). Repair manuals will tell you to open the bleed valve to do this, but then you risk getting air in the line again. I like to use a big metal c-clamp to squeeze the calipers and force the brake fluid back into the reservoir... some people pry them apart with a large screwdriver, but I find the c-clamp works so much better.



Once they are spread, just slip the new pads into place (they usually have a spring-like retainer to hold them) and then slip the caliper back over the disc and bolt it down. As long as you didn't open the bleed valve to spread the calipers, then you won't have to bleed the brakes.
Changing the brake pads on a 2003 Toyota Tacoma?
you are now going to have to bleed all the air out of the system. There are bleeder valves on the caliper. You will need someone to push the pedal while you open the bleeder valve. Have them hold the brake till you re tighten the bleeder valve. Keep doing this till tou get no more air bubbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment