Friday 7 October 2011

When should I get my brake pads changed?

I drive a 2000 Ford Focus LX.



There is no screeching but definitely some vibration and different feel when I apply the brakes. I had about 30% left on my pads when I got my car serviced in October.



I don't drive very much at all. When should I get them replaced? I was hoping to wait until mid April as I am trying to save money for a vacation in 2 weeks.
When should I get my brake pads changed?
People have a bad habit of looking at a few pads and coming to a decision. Most of the time one or two pads will be a lot more worn than the rest and they're usually on the inside where they're hard to see.

What you're feeling is probably metal on metal because one pad is gone altogether.
When should I get my brake pads changed?
If its not screeching yet and you dont drive that often it should be ok till mid April.
Well i would do it as soon as you can. You can take you wheel off and look at how much is left on the pad.



But don't let them get close. It will end up costing you a heckuva lot more money if you let the pads/shoes grind up the rotor.
Brakes generally last 30 to 50K miles. You can probably wait til after vacation to fix it.
My guess is that yes, you can wait.... This of course is pending that you spend 9.99 at your nearest shop to have the brake lining thickness checked. by the way it should not be measured as a percentage but actually in decimal or 32,s, more on that later.

The vibration is mechanically called pulsation. Usually manifested as a shuddering in the steering wheel at higher speeds or a jerkiness at slower speeds. This is caused by the brake drum or rotor warpage from heat and wear and tear..

Anything above 2/32 is acceptable.

Remember that some cars still have wear sensors. you can ask the service tech to check if yours have this feature which will create a chirping or sqeaking sound as your linings approach the service limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment