Wednesday 26 October 2011

Should I replace my cars rotors at the same time as the brake pads?

Last time I went to the mechanics he said I need to change my brake pads, should I change the rotors at the same time or do these not need to be changed as often?
Should I replace my cars rotors at the same time as the brake pads?
If they aren't warped, or have grooves in them or real thin then no they are good to re-use.
Should I replace my cars rotors at the same time as the brake pads?
ussually half as often. you should have them turned when you change your pads. but if it's an old car then you can just change the pads.
no see if they can be turned 1st. When this is done it evens out the rotor in case its slightly warped. If its too bad you will have to replace it.
Yes if pulsation felt when braking.
only if they are worn thin or have big grooves in them! if they have grooves and are not to thin then you can take them to a place like napa auto parts store and have them turned which means they put them on a lathe and cut them back until they are smooth!! its alot cheaper!
The only time you need to replace your rotors is when they get wore down. If you keep your brake pads changed, your rotors will last a good while. You can tell the rotors need to be changed out if they are no longer smooth, but have ridges on them, a result of driving with bad brakes. When that happens, sometimes if it's not too bad you can take them and have them smoothed down, but if they're beyond repair, you'll need to change them.
It depends mostly upon the make, model, and year of your car. Many car-makers, in an attempt to save weight, engineer the rotors and pads to wear out at the same time. This way, you don't really have a choice. When you replace the pads, the rotors are ready to go, too. Other car makers engineer most of the wear into the pads, in which case you may be able to re-use the rotors for several installations of pads. It also depends upon which materials are used in the pads.
personally I would change them this time as you said they didn't change them the last time you had the pads done.

No comments:

Post a Comment