Sunday 5 June 2011

Is it necessary to replace the springs when changing drum brake pads?

My %26#039;96 Buick Skylark needs new rear brake pads, I plan to do it myself for the first time and have watched a few youtube clips; the professional auto repair vids. say all the hardware should be replaced.... but does it have to be? Do the springs really wear out as fast as the pads, or can they be reused? Personal experience or expert advice appreciated!|||they dont wear out but they do rust and break, I always replace hardware. Its cheap insurance, if a spring breaks it usually ruins the drum.|||I%26#039;ve reused them several time, they don%26#039;t usually wear out for 10 years or more, then they will break. You can reuse them once.|||YOU DON%26#039;T HAVE TO IF THEY ARE IN GOOD SHAPE BUT THE RULE OF THUMB IS TO REPLACE THEM SO THAT YOU ARE SURE THEY ARE PULLING THE SHOES BACK TO THE WHEEL CYLINDERS LIKE THEY SHOULD.|||generally you don%26#039;t need to replace them, I have never had to replace a brake spring, except for the one or 2 il lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment