Sunday 5 June 2011

Is it neccesary to machine rotors when changing brake pads?

i know some rotors are not supposed to be resurfaced


but my car is a 1998 chevy malibu so im pretty sure there


resurfaceble but is it neccesary|||I have done thousands of brake jobs. I suggest machining the rotors and or drums at every brake job, this ensures the surface is flat and not warped, you could also risk brake squeak issues and or brake pedal pulsations. If you dont turn them, it%26#039;s not the end of the world, and you still will have safe brakes, but they might make noise and pulsate.|||Nope, only if they are warped. Consult your Chevy dealer. They may not be the type you can resurface.|||It`s not neccesary; but very good policy|||no, it is not always necessary. I only do it when there has been serious metal to metal damage to the rotor, and they can be safely resurfaced.|||I just usually buy new rotors when i purchase brake pads...but thats just me|||If your brakes were jumpy or pulsing before as in warped rotors, then yes. If they were good, then no. Most companies now cut corners so closely, there isn%26#039;t any extra metal to turn off the rotors and still be in minimum tolerances. By the same token, it doesn%26#039;t cost that much to just replace them. I usually turn rotors once before replacing them but I do it myself. If I had to hire it done, I would have them replaced.|||Will is right, I have never done a brake job where I did not get the rotors turned. Get them done, the cost is minimal and the benfits are immeasurable.|||yes yes yes yes yes..everytime you change pads or shoes, machine or replace the rotors or drums. period

No comments:

Post a Comment