Sunday 5 June 2011

Changing my brake pads/rotors. Do I need new brake shoes for the rear also?

I own a 2005 Honda Civic with 45,000 miles on it. The rotors in the front are grinding so I am going to purchase a new set of rotors and brake pads for the front. I do know that the brakes are utilized more in the front when the Honda stops. Does this mean I need to change the brake shoes in the rear?|||Break pad in the front do wear much faster, the only way to know is to look the drums come off pretty easy , new one should be close to 1/4 %26quot; thick also good time to rotate tires should be done avery 5000 miles or so for best wear .|||No you should not have to change the rear shoes but I would take a look at them anyway.|||Not necessarily, but check the rear brake linings also to give you piece of mind.





45,000 miles on a set of brakes isn%26#039;t good. That%26#039;s a sign of hard braking. I always get 60,000 miles or more on a set of brakes (city driving). I just did my Suzuki at 65,000 miles. I got just over 70,000 miles on my pick-up. Start slowing down before you have to use the brakes. Sometimes the obstruction ahead (turning car, traffic light) will clear and you won%26#039;t have to use your brakes at all.|||At 45,000 miles, not unless there%26#039;s a problem. In fact, 45,000 miles is awfully early for front pads, let alone rotors. Average for fronts would be around 60k, rears can often go well over a hundred.|||Your are a wise man replacing front Rotors and Pads,


It is not only Miles that determine Brake Life----A lot of stop and go driving-Mountains-Fast stops;all can play a part;

No comments:

Post a Comment